Monday 17 May 2010

Revision, or procrastination?

Hmm, revision isn't going well! Whenever I sit down with the aim of revising, I manage to find so many more interesting things to do - like ironing! I can't keep putting of revising, as in 4 weeks time the exam will be over, so I really need to get stuck in. But it is so demoralising when I go back through the books and can't remember anything!

Clearly I need to hone my revision skills; a study skills session at the weekend didn't really help as I was hoping it would. My current plan is to complete my Glossary of 100 terms that have to be learned (almost done), and try to learn them using index cards and practising writing out the definitions. Then I need to identify and understand the analytical frameworks - I was rather demoralised by some posts on the OU forum where everyone else had loads of great ideas but I had none! Then it's revising the blocks - I'm aiming for 2 out of 4 to revise as thoroughly as I can and then maybe having a read-through of the other 2.

I'm trying to be proactive in my revision - writing notes and making mind maps (I hate those things!) rather than just reading. Notes are appearing on the kitchen cupboards to try and prompt my failing memory, much to the children's amusement.

I would probably benefit from somebody turning off my Internet connection when I am supposed to be revising, as it is too tempting to check e-mails and OU forums then getting sidetracked for half an hour before getting back to the books! And when the weather is sunny, as it was today, going for a walk is a welcome distraction. I would head to the library to revise, but would probably end up reading a novel rather than my textbooks!

Somewhere in amongst this revision, I have a French essay to submit - haven't looked at the French books for a couple of weeks now! C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment