Thursday 13 May 2010

Is Primary for me?

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy my job as a Learning Support Assistant. However there are times when I think that working as a Primary School teacher may not be for me, and today was one of those days! I have no problem working with the children on literacy and numeracy, can get stuck into science, geography and history and, of course, relish the language sessions! Yet I come unstuck when it comes to practical sessions.

Today the class was finishing off a session on Roald Dahl that we have been working on for a few weeks. The children have written their own scenes for the books they have been reading and have made puppets and scenery so that they can perform the scene. I find the art / DT lessons so frustrating - leaving the children to try and resolve problems for themselves when I want to get stuck in and tell them how to sort things out! I find it difficult to step back and keep quiet! Plus the whole lack of structure of that kind of lesson is something I struggle with. Clearly an area I need to work on if I am to succeed in Primary, or maybe that is my cue ot look more at Secondary??

No comments:

Post a Comment