Friday 16 December 2011

Interview hell!

On Monday I had an interview at the University of East Anglia for a place on their Primary PGCE with French course. I had been dreading it, and my dread was well founded! According to the letter I received, the morning would consist of a conversation in the target language, a written piece in the target language plus an interview, then the afternoon would be an interview, a written piece plus a presentation and group discussion. However, the reality was slightly different!

There were 7 of us for the morning (language) session, and I was the oldest by around 15 years, plus I was the only person wearing a suit! The conversation and interview turned out to be one and the same thing, which threw me somewhat and I ended up blanking when he spoke to me in French. I hope they will realise it was only down to nerves and that I can actually speak French! I think the written task was ok, but given my complete failure on the interview I am no longer very confident.

The afternoon was, I think, better. We were joined by 4 more students for the general PGCE part of the day. I was one of the first in for interview and I think it was ok, but I never know how to interpret the 'hmm, hmm' - is it a good hmm, hmm or a bad hmm, hmm? I managed to answer all the questions, so hope I was saying the right things! I feel as if the book presentation went well - I stuck to my 3 minutes unlike some of the candidates - and joined in the discussion, although admittedly I wasn't the first to speak in the discussion phase unlike the very keen candidate who obviously wanted to stand out. the written task was horrible though - I have no idea if I wrote the right thing.

We were told that if it was a definite no we would hear within 2 weeks, otherwise we would be on a list dependant on the allocation for funding for places. I'm ju't hoping I don't hear anything before Christmas, which would mean I still have a chance!

In other news, it was the last day of term today. Feeling sad as the teacher I work with is leaving to go to another school and I will be working with a supply teacher for next term. There were quite a few tears from the children, but I'm sure they'll soon settle in with a new teacher. Plus I have the opportunity to do some work experience in another school with my former colleague!

Hoping for positive news soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment